Image Map

School Uniforms - Week One


School uniforms are a growing trend, not only among private schools, but also starting to make appearances in public schools as well.  My son's school was selected out of our division to be the first to transfer to uniforms, a pilot program to see how it goes.  

How I Feel About This??

Not that it really matters at this point, decisions have been made and it is what it is, there is no point in complaining about it.  In a lot of ways I understand using uniforms to make the school environment more conducive to learning.   On the other hand, kids are kids, let them be kids.  

As you can see, I really don't have a strong stance on this.  I can afford regular clothes just as easily as uniforms.  It really isn't going to impact our life that much.

My dilemma has been where to start, what pieces to buy, which to skip, how to change things up, what brands are best.  Which is where this series originated.  

How Have I Told My Kids?

So far only Matthew will be affected by this.  Also he doesn't have much to compare to.  Last year was kindergarten.  So he has only had 1 year in our elementary school.  We are still 1 month out from school starting, so we are trying to soak in summer.  I have told him that he will be wearing uniforms, but not gone into much detail.  I am more of a less is more kind of mom when it comes to conversations.  In the end he just has to understand that sometimes we have to do things we don't want to, and get over it. 

I feel once Lilly and even JD start school (who knows if this lasts that long, or we even live here) it would be easier starting it off from the beginning, not knowing any different.  There really wouldn't be any conversation to have, other than this is what we do as school.

Tips for Telling Your Kids:
1. Bring it up casually, of course the older they are, the bigger of an opinion about it they will have.  
2.  No Matter how you as a the parent feel about it, don't let that show.  If you portray a negative attitude, your kids will play off that too.  
3.  Have your kids come up with some positive aspects of the situation, you just telling them isn't going to do much, but them figuring some out will be better.
4.  If all else fails, go with the "Well these are the rules, and sometimes we have to do things we don't want.  End. Of. Story.

I was hoping to have found some information online about introducing the idea to the kids, and tips on what to buy, where to buy.... funny how all I came up with was debates and information on how great or awful of a concept it is.

So that's where I'm at, since I couldn't find much help online, I thought I would share my experience.  


SO.....over the next few weeks I am going to share what I feel is going to work for us.  
                                                    Week 2: Where To Buy
                                                    Week 3: Starting a Uniform Wardrobe
                                                    Week 4: Final Thoughts and Tips

Also PLEASE if you have any advice or tips please email me or comment!  I would love to hear from y'all!

Linking up with, KellyMegan, and Lindsay Trendy Tot Tuesday

4 comments:

  1. We don't have uniforms here (thankfully!) but I agree there isn't much that can be done which the decision is made.

    My problem with uniforms is that usually the reason for them is to stop kids from focusing on what they are wearing/brands/the haves vs have nots/poor vs rich/etc. And the thing is that schools will NEVER eliminate that. Even with uniforms, some kids have Gymboree uniforms with all the matching accessories, and wear a new uniform every day----while others have a basic Walmart polo and wear the same thing 3 days in a row...etc. etc. And if kids aren't picking on eachother for what they wear then it's the hairstyle, or shoes, or the school binder they have....it never ends lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nathan started wearing a uniform in K and he has never known it any other way. He hasn't complained about it yet... but, maybe he will when he is older. They do get dress down days. Autumn is in PS4 so still can wear whatever she wants. I am sure I will miss dressing her in whatever I want (because, girl clothes are SO cute) once she is in K. The uniforms are SO easy in the morning, though... and, so easy to shop for. Also, they can be cute, too and stylish, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Our school district also wears uniforms, and although we still have a few years until we have to worry about this, its never too early to start preparing! Great post! Thanksk for linking up! Newest follower. :o)

    -Kelly
    http://walkinonsunshinetheblog.blogspot.com/2013/07/trendy-tot-tuesday.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. I kind of wish our district would switch to uniforms. It would really eliminate the daily clothing battles with my daughter!

    ReplyDelete