Image Map

Note To Myself When My Kids Are Grown

I am sure I will have more of these thoughts I want to remember for when my kids are grown, but today I think it is important to remember this moment.

Every Sunday we go to Mass.  My husband and kids are Catholic, I am not (yet).  Still, every Sunday I get all three kids ready, and we go to church most of the time just the 4 of us (my husband works A LOT).  As we still there I pray no one has to pee, and that the others around us are sympathetic to the fact that this mama has three small children trying to sit still, and she is doing the best that she can.

Every week someone compliments me on how cute they are, or how well behaved they are through Mass.  Every week, this makes me feel Amazing.  More Confident.  Like I am doing something right. 

This past week I got the sweetest comment.  The lady sitting behind us tapped me on the shoulder as I was corralling the kids to leave.  She stopped me and said "You can see through your children how wonderful of a mother you are."  I smiled and said "Thank You".

It didn't really hit me until I got into the car.  I sat and thought about the words she had said.  I was the most wonderful compliment anyone has given me about being a mother.  I wanted to cry.

Going to church with small children can be rough.  I always feel like everyone hears everything time they whine, talk, or act out.  Some weeks I dread going.  But every week I feel so much better when we leave.  The compliments I am given really set my mood for the rest of the day {sometimes week}trying to live up to the words people give me.  Trying to be the best mother I can be.

So Old Samantha who no longer has to drag kids to church every week, here is what I want you to do:

1.  Enjoy getting to spend the half hour before church actually getting yourself ready and not chasing kids trying to put on "scratchy shirts" or tights that won't go on right.

2.  Every week, make it a point to find a mother who looks stressed, worn out, tired.  Tell her how cute her daughters dress is, tell her she is wonderful, tell her how well behaved her kids were.  Tell her she is doing a great job.  It will make her day.  I promise.


No comments:

Post a Comment